Really Sciency

Visit my other blog 'Really Sciency' looking at Climate Science and its portrayal, misrepresentation and denial in the media.

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Am I a hypocrite?

Before thoses who wish to remain annomyous jump in with a resounding yes;

I have been accused of being a hypocrite by 'Christians' several times. This has happened when I admitted to being a cultural Christian, attending some church services to support my religious family members and friends, sending my children to a faith school etc.

That's all by the by. However a Christian friend asked me to donate to Christian Aid. I already donate from my wages to a secular charity. Normally I would give without thinking but paused as I thought about those who have called me a hypocrite previously. However I did contribute in any case. Do Christians and people of faith think it was a hypocritical thing to do? Do other non believers?

To be honest I would prefer to contribute to secular charities only. I have a monthly debit to a children's leukaemia charity and will give to the likes of Oxfam but would not normally give to Christian Aid or Cathod unless asked directly by someone I know which is very likely to happen in the near future given the situation in Japan.

I would also prefer to have my kids go to a non faith school. But I have only a half vote in that decision and my wife is a regular church goer. The school is also one of the best in my area - so anything for an easy life.

3 comments:

  1. I don't see anything hypocritical in any of that. Fact is that 2000 years of christian ways have imposed a norm on us all, e.g. christian festivals are national holidays. You have limited funds to donate and the religions don't have a monopoly in administering charities.

    ReplyDelete