Really Sciency

Visit my other blog 'Really Sciency' looking at Climate Science and its portrayal, misrepresentation and denial in the media.

Wednesday 19 January 2011

Atheists in denial.


It is very disheartening when you see atheists being as dogmatic as any god botherer. A recent example of this is on the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science, with a report on a scientific paper on sea level rise.

Many of the comments under this are from people –  I presume they are almost exclusively non-believers – who reject science and the idea of man made warming even though it is supported by many lines of independent evidence. This seems to happen on any global warming related item.


To be honest I don’t think such people are true atheists at all because it seems that they have just substituted one dogmatic belief in gods for another belief that there are no gods, rather than having no belief in gods. This may appear to be a subtle difference but a very important one.

I like to think that my own non-belief is a result of critical thinking and only accepting credible evidence to inform my decision. Likewise I don’t believe in evolution because unlike creationists I don’t have to believe something. I just have to accept the science to accept evolution. Man made global warming is no different, I accept the supporting science from many scientific disciplines, the knowledge that the basic physics would be fundamentally wrong if an increase in green house emissions did not cause warming and the opinion of every national academy and institute of science. What’s to believe?

On a site that is supposed to be dedicated to reason and science it is sad to see so many who reject both.

No comments:

Post a Comment