Really Sciency

Visit my other blog 'Really Sciency' looking at Climate Science and its portrayal, misrepresentation and denial in the media.

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Suffering for God

It was pointed out to me once that if I use the worlds suffering to support my non-belief how come the world's poorest people, are not the greatest atheists. Those who suffer the most should presumably be those who believe least.

My reply; The poorest people are usually the least educated and the most susceptible to religious indoctrination. Belief in something better is often the only hope they have, so no, the worlds poorest people are not likely to be the greatest Atheists but the most religious. It should be perfectly obvious to most people that the deprived in this life are more likely to need the hope of something better after death, and thus rely on religion.

Many studies show the more educated/intelligent people are the least religious/most atheist they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment